Thursday, November 20, 2008

beyond the splendor of lilies

"See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6:25-34

i love flowers. each one has an intricate, delicate beauty all to its own. i find them especially beautiful when i have helped them to grow.


wildflowers especially have this exquisite, untamed charm that i am drawn to. God's mercy and love seems to be painted on the face of each petal, and something about them captivates me. they are not prized treasures to most, not sold in bundles from the florists shop for special occasions, but rather, they strain on their own through the broken soil, revealing a beautiful display of glory.


and it startles me to think that the creator of these bursts of splendor prizes me even more. all the beauty i see in these fragrant splashes of color- He sees even more in me. while i may not be sought after by the world, He pursues after me hotly with a holy blaze of passion.


and while my days certainly do have enough troubles as i push upward through this broken world, i find myself in a constant battle of the "what ifs" and "what nows". while i am here to display the glory of my creator, i wonder how much of that beauty fades under the weight of my worries.


God holds all my tomorrows. what have i to fear? my focus should be on daily, in each moment, seeking first His desires for my every step, trusting in obedience, not running ahead, finding myself lost, scared, and confused.


who better than the creator to know what i need? and He withholds nothing from me that i need. as i learn this truth, i pray my splendor and beauty is found in Christ alone.


God, help me bloom in the Son. Amen.

No comments: