Saturday, May 5, 2007

the lesson in daisies

it's amazing how a few little seeds i scattered in a small clay pot between some potting soil have been such an encouragement and lesson to me. for the first few days, the pot was empty, but i kept watering it, hoping the seeds would sprout despite the lack of sunshine. about a week later, i had six green sprouts pushing upward through the black soil... the next day there were nine. one is bigger and taller than the rest, he's in the middle of the pot. quite the attention hog. the others around the edges are just straining upward, still growing. and no matter how i turn them, they push up towards the light. i keep rotating them so they won't grow crooked. i left for easter, i knew i was going to be gone a while but i watered them extra before i left and thought they would be ok. after leaving my precious daisies alone for four days, when i returned they were slumped over, withering, in serious need of some water. so i grabbed a cup and watered, and watered, and watered. borderline flood, i was expecting the ark to float by. but by the end of the day, the giant was back up to its usual floppy leaved perky self. the others followed his example and within 24 hours, i now have twelve happy, perky daisies.

i too get dry. i too need to be watered, and watered, and watered until there's no where else for the moisture to go but to overflow. God loves me and loves me and pours out his spirit on me until i'm overflowing, and i perk back up. i gain a new perspective on life and stand up tall, empowered with the holy spirit. i don't always lean towards the light.. i have a tendency to fall away or turn my life. but in the end its the son that captures me once again, and i leave the darkness to be nurtured in the light. i keep striving and pushing toward maturity, my struggles the soil. i will never be free of them, my strength is rooted in them. each new day is full of new challenges to stretch my roots a little deeper, grow a little closer to my father, and persevere. thank you daisies.

No comments: